Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
1 pound clean squid with tentacles, bodies cut into 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick rings
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons dried parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 lemons, cut into wedges
1 cup simple tomato sauce, recipe follows or jarred marinara sauce, warmed
Pour enough oil into a heavy large saucepan to reach the depth of 3 inches. Heat over medium heat to 350 degrees F. Mix the flour, parsley, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Working in small batches, toss the squid into the flour mixture to coat. Carefully add the squid to the oil and fry until crisp and very pale golden, about 1 minute per batch. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the fried calamari to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
Place the fried calamari and lemon wedges on a clean plate. Sprinkle with salt. Serve with the marinara sauce.
Simple Tomato Sauce:
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
2 dried bay leaves
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, optional
In a large casserole pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and bay leaves and simmer uncovered on low heat for 1 hour or until thick. Remove bay leaves and check for seasoning. If sauce still tastes acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time to round out the flavors.
Add 1/2 the tomato sauce into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Continue with remaining tomato sauce.
If not using all the sauce, allow it to cool completely and pour 1 to 2 cup portions into freezer plastic bags. This will freeze up to 6 months.
Yield: 6 cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
East of preparation: easy
- 10 Gorgeous Summer Corn Recipes – Huffington Post
- "Little Missy Greedy" Likes My Mac ‘n Cheese – Huffington Post
- Cookbook review: The Farm by Ian Knauer – The Christian Science Monitor
- Recipes Made With Potato Chips: From Chicken Fingers To Cheesecake – Huffington Post
- New Book is an Appealing Fusion of Scriptures and Recipes – YAHOO!
- Recipes To Clean Out Your Cupboard: Fish Sauce, Tamarind And More – Huffington Post
- Vegan Indian cooking | Recipes from Anupy Singla – Abc Local Web
- Chicago Mayor Seeks Recipe to Expand Food Trucks – ABC News
- Finger Food Recipes For Summer Entertaining – Huffington Post
- COOKING ON DEADLINE: Recipe for skillet blueberry muffin pancakes – Washington Post
- Do Knoxville: Hikes and holiday happeningsIjams Nature Center will hold its Holiday Marketplace and Fair from 1-5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 8. More than 25 vendors, including local artists and craftspeople, will participate and beer and wine will be for sale, as well as snacks. […]
- Cyber Week 2013 Lane Bryant 75 percent off Cacique bras one-day-only dealLane Bryant 's Cyber Week 2013 deal on Cacique foiled lace demi bras can be purchased one-day-only for 75 percent off with the Lane Bryant buy one, get one free bra sale and coupon code. […]
- Holiday recipes for brunch bread pudding, pickled mushrooms and pecan crescentsThis recipe is one of the new additions to the book. "It's easy. It's the kind of thing that's great for a brunch," whether for Christmas Day or anytime during the year you have overnight guests, Murray says. […]
- 6 penne pasta dishes to warm up December nights: Foodday FavoritesPenne is one of our favorite pasta shapes because it's versatile and easy to cook. […]
- SO Fresh offers Kids Holiday Cooking ClassSO Fresh is teaming up with the Family, Career and Community Leaders of America program at Dublin Middle School to sponsor a Kids Holiday Cooking Class Thursday, Dec. 12. The 4-7 p.m. class is open to fifth and eighth grade students from all schools. […]
- 7pm The One ShowMatt Baker and Alex Jones are joined by Gordon Ramsay, who dishes up a festive treat for a family spending Christmas apart, and comedian Greg Davies provides the entertainment. […]
- 7pm EmmerdaleLaurel catches Gabby bunking off school, and when an argument erupts the girl runs into the road as a bus is approaching. […]
- Coronation StreetPeter Barlow is getting married again. Can it top the time he said "I do" to Leanne, just at the moment his life support machine flatlined? Or the occasion when he got spliced to Shelley despite already being wed to florist Lucy? Well, it looks like he's going to give it a ruddy good go, what with Carla now vying with Tina for his at […]
- Christmas ChaosLearn how Christmas is celebrated around the world. Christmas, or variations thereof, are celebrated the world over. […]
- Hobos Restaurant & BarI believe that the most important thing we can do for our community is support it. […]
- Do Knoxville: Hikes and holiday happenings