Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
1 pound clean squid with tentacles, bodies cut into 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick rings
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons dried parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 lemons, cut into wedges
1 cup simple tomato sauce, recipe follows or jarred marinara sauce, warmed
Pour enough oil into a heavy large saucepan to reach the depth of 3 inches. Heat over medium heat to 350 degrees F. Mix the flour, parsley, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Working in small batches, toss the squid into the flour mixture to coat. Carefully add the squid to the oil and fry until crisp and very pale golden, about 1 minute per batch. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the fried calamari to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
Place the fried calamari and lemon wedges on a clean plate. Sprinkle with salt. Serve with the marinara sauce.
Simple Tomato Sauce:
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
2 dried bay leaves
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, optional
In a large casserole pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and bay leaves and simmer uncovered on low heat for 1 hour or until thick. Remove bay leaves and check for seasoning. If sauce still tastes acidic, add unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time to round out the flavors.
Add 1/2 the tomato sauce into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Continue with remaining tomato sauce.
If not using all the sauce, allow it to cool completely and pour 1 to 2 cup portions into freezer plastic bags. This will freeze up to 6 months.
Yield: 6 cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
East of preparation: easy
- 10 Gorgeous Summer Corn Recipes – Huffington Post
- "Little Missy Greedy" Likes My Mac ‘n Cheese – Huffington Post
- Cookbook review: The Farm by Ian Knauer – The Christian Science Monitor
- Recipes Made With Potato Chips: From Chicken Fingers To Cheesecake – Huffington Post
- New Book is an Appealing Fusion of Scriptures and Recipes – YAHOO!
- Recipes To Clean Out Your Cupboard: Fish Sauce, Tamarind And More – Huffington Post
- Vegan Indian cooking | Recipes from Anupy Singla – Abc Local Web
- Chicago Mayor Seeks Recipe to Expand Food Trucks – ABC News
- Finger Food Recipes For Summer Entertaining – Huffington Post
- COOKING ON DEADLINE: Recipe for skillet blueberry muffin pancakes – Washington Post
- Join us in San Francisco for Free Bassel DayBassel Khartabil is a Syrian-Palestinian computer engineer who, through his innovations in social media, digital education, and open-source web software, played a huge role in opening the internet in Syria and bringing online access and knowledge to the Syrian people. […]
- World premier of World Wide Widow March 7 in McKinneyA witty script, a talented cast and an awkward dilemma should be the recipe for an evening of laughter when McKinney Repertory Theater presents the world premier of World Wide Widow on Friday, March 7 at McKinney Performing Arts Theater. […]
- Bouquet of Hope cookbook raises funds for Joanne's House at Hope HospiceThis story is contributed by a member of the Naples community and is neither endorsed nor affiliated with Naples Daily News Members and friends of the Bonita Bay bible study group have created a 250-page cookbook, Bouquet of Hope, to raise funds to support Joanne's House at Hope Hospice in Bonita Springs. […]
- Random's First Look Book Club Up and Running | PubCrawlRandom House memo, Jen Childs, director of Library Marketing, reported that the department's latest initiative, First Look Book Club , took off to a roaring start in February, with 2,500 subscribers opting in. […]
- Sponsored Post: Amaro Montenegro: More than a DigestifIf you're a cocktail lover, chances are you've had amaro : aromatic, herbaceous, sweet and bitter; it's become a go-to cocktail ingredient thanks to its complexity of flavor and versatility. […]
- Best of food and drink this weekA round-up of some of our favourite recipes and food-related features this week including a recipe for classic mac and cheese, an ingredient spotlight on grapefruit, and an interview with 'Frenchie' author Chef Greg Marchand. […]
- Impress with Gressingham duck breast with mint, lemon and red chilliThen finely chop the mint and chilli and mix with remaining oil and lemon juice, and set aside. […]
- Daily Business Report-March 7, 2014The proposed makeover of Anthony's Fish Grotto features expansive glass to enhance the views provided to diners. […]
- 'Dinner with Degas' to celebrate Lafcadio Hearn next weekIt seems like the spirit of famed writer Lafcadio Hearn is truly getting its due these days. […]
- http://mashable.com/2014/03/07/ibm-watson-cognitive-cooking/One of the best meals I've ever eaten probably could not have been created without a computer. […]
- Join us in San Francisco for Free Bassel Day